Image Credits: Ivo Senner
Things you need
For the broth
- Chicken - 250g
- An onion
For the spice bag
- A piece of cloth or a paper bag.
- An inch of cinnamon (dalchini)
- Star anise
- An onion
- An inch of ginger
- 4 coriander roots or 6-7 seeds (dhania)
- Rice Noodles (we used a full big pack of Top Ramen Curry )
- Chopped spring onions
- Chopped lemon leaves or just some lemon juice
To make this dish, you need to prepare: the broth, the spice bag, and the noodles, which you could very well do parallely.
- Heat 2 litres of water enough for the chicken you want to make.
- Add the chicken to this water, and leave it until it comes to a boil, oh! and also add salt.
- The boiling would cause some froth to accumulate on the top, keep removing that using a strainer.
- Add an onion to this, and keep the broth going like an hour and a half.
The spice bag
- Heat up a non-stick pan
- Put the spices listed above onto the pan : ginger, onion, coriander, cinnamon, star anise
- Let them burn until their outermost layer starts turning blakc and charred.
- Remove the ones that seem to have reached the corrrect level of “burnt”.
- You should now get a nice aroma
- Brush away the charred layer from the spices and pack them in the cloth or a paper bag.
- Drop this into the broth and let the broth boil for another 30 minutes.
- Heat up enough water for your noodles (Hint: The noodles need to be completely submerged)
- Let them get soft, use a fork to check that.
- Once they are done, transfer the hot water to another container (We will use this in a later step)
- Wash the noodles in cold water.
- Finish up with cleaning in hot water that we saved from the earlier step.
- Now spread the noodles to let it dry, the above step helps the noodles to dry quicker and thus not form a cake.
Bonus Muoi Ot (Vietnamese Salt)
- Finely slice some red chilli peppers (not the dried ones) and crush them with salt.
- This goes well with Pho, if you want to increase it’s spice.
The final serving
- Remove the chicken from the broth and put on a plate
- Shred the chicken a bit
- Now add some noodles in a bowl and add the chicken and the chopped spring onions and lemon leaves to them.
- Add enough broth to this mixture, and finally add Muoi Ot to taste to the Pho.
- You are done !